There has been so much DOING OF THINGS in the last few months and I’d really like to document it. In an attempt to make sure (a) I actually do that and (b) that it’s not too unwieldy, or rather totally unreadable, I’m gonna steal copperbadge
’s Three Things format: three bullet points and an extra per item.
Three Things About My Life RecentlyThe emo party
1. One of my friends, Torie, had an emo-themed birthday party, which was pretty excellent. (I was originally planning to do something similar for my twenty-sixth birthday, to celebrate ten years of never having to be fifteen again ever in my life, but then I was in Italy.) I wore jeans, boots, and a t-shirt I’d had printed with Bright Eyes lyrics XD But me, I’m not a gamble, you can count on me to split.
2. It was loads of fun. Torie’s the Dark Lady’s childhood bestie so we’ve met several times before but being bridesmaids for the Dark Lady and Violet respectively seems to have made us actual friends. Torie
also has great friends. When I arrived at the party I was coming round the block of flats and heard voices I recognised, and saw a pale hand sticking out of the window holding a cigarette. Torie smokes, and the Dark Lady smokes socially, and I could hear both their voices. Ah-HA! I thought, and leapt.
It was not either of them, but once the screaming was over, Torie’s mate laughed a lot
and we hugged. And then discussed Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
into the wee hours.
3. Violet and I made a Tory ex-MP leave the party in a huff :D :D :D Torie worked for him for years (you may guess where her nickname comes from) and he was saying biphobia is the last acceptable prejudice, and gesturing to Torie, saying that any of their friends would be horrified by sexism but wouldn’t allow homophobia. Violet and I pushed back on this, giving examples of racism and sexism that still exist. Dude was all, “I made a speech in the Commons about maternity leave!” Violet pointed out that going straight to parent stuff when discussing women’s issues is kind of telling. He STORMED OUT, lmao, and sent Torie angry texts about how he wasn’t going to hang around while people were mean to him. HAHAHAHA. Torie was the one who wrote that speech he gave, by the way, and was clearly very pleased to have some other bi women to point out what bollocks he was talking.
3A. The playlist Torie made was so hilariously excellent. It had been soooo long since I sang along to all of Sugar We’re Going Down
and I Write Sins Not Tragedies
with a group of people who’d also drunk a LOT of blue VK.The weekend in Reading
My darling januarium
is caring for her mum full-time at the mo, but she got a weekend off a little while ago so I went to stay over with her and her excellent husband A for a night. It was great: we talked a bunch, and watched A Very Potter Sequel
. I’d not seen it before and it’s a definite improvement on the first!
2. We had homemade pizza (not made by me, haha) and homemade strawberry mojitos and it was SO GREAT and basically the start of summer in my head even though it was… May, I think.
3. We went to see the new Guardians of the Galaxy
. I liked it more than the first -- Gamora and Nebula interacted a lot more! Intense sibling stuff! Three whole ladies, all of whom had personalities and a significant role! Fewer wanton civilian deaths! (It’s not like I think all the needless death is immoral somehow - it’s a movie - but one of my absolute favourite things about the Avengers
movies is that in them, rescuing civilians is such a vital part of heroism.) Music was more chill so I liked it less, but generally fun.
3A. I got to stay in a redone spare room with BE OUR GUEST spelled out in sparkly letters (my suggestion, which januarium
was enthusiastic about!) and a bookcase which always makes me feel happy I’m friends with these people. I ♥ Disney fans.Watford and Leavesden studios
I went to the Harry Potter studios with some other fandomers :) I’d actually been before but for like ninety minutes near the end. We spent all day there and it was a lot of fun.
2. They have a new Forbidden Forest bit, with Hippogriffs and Acromantulas, and you can take the scary route (with the spiders) or the non-scary route, and even with that, I saw four kids be taken out wailing by their parents in ten minutes
3. Obviously the best bit was hanging out with some of my favourite people, including delightful fandomers I usually only see on our annual Hallowe’en trip. I had a bit of extra time with my most favourite wickedblonde
:D :D :D We got to hang out a bunch and have dinner and that, and in an international group, have a chat about incredibly local politics cos of being with a union activist friend who grew up in the same town as me!
3A. I spent an embarrassing amount in the giftshop. But I don’t regret it: I have a Ravenclaw exercise book, which is now filling up with lesson plans and notes for fanfic. I have a very Fantastic Beasts
poster which I bought for the official-HP-merch-with-not-very-subtextu
al-queer-subtext -- Nothing that occurs in nature can be unnatural
. I have a Grimmauld Place street-sign keyring that januarium
bought me, which is so cool and tells me that Grimmauld Place is, of course, in Islington. And I have a Ron Weasley jumper! It’s maroon and it has an R on it (the first letter of my name) and it’s pure Scottish wool, handmade at the same place that made all the film’s jumpers, and it cost ohgodseventypounds, but I LOVE IT and it’s 10000% worth it.
More to follow :)This was originally posted at http://lokifan.dreamwidth.org/362692.html. Comment wherever you like :)